Over the last 10 years, KCAT has worked to promote active transportation in Kingston. Below are a some highlights of the work we’ve done.
2008: Youth forum directed at elementary and secondary school students on active transportation.
2009: 8-80 Cities (formerly known as Walk and Bike for Life). Gil Penalosa presentation and Q&A.
2010: Active Transportation: Moving Forward in Kingston; full day workshop at Queen’s University. Active Transportation for a Healthy Community: Walking, Bicycling, and Transit in Kingston; public forum at City Hall.
2011: Cycling in a Sustainable Kingston; presentations by representatives from Share the Road, Embassy of Netherlands, and Citizens for Safe Cycling in Ottawa at Queen’s University and City Hall.
2012: KCAT Forum; comprised of research and recognition event at Queen’s University.
2013: Kingston Bike Forum; City of Kingston, Share the Road, KCAT, and partners hosted a day long event where local and international experts presented on AT and shared strategies for making Kingston more AT friendly.
- Walk & Bike for Life: Trails for Active Transportation: Kingston (2009).
- Step Up reports to the community (2009, 2011, 2012).
- KFL&A Public Health. Active Transportation in Kingston: Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter Survey. (2012)
- Collins, P., Mayer, D. Active Transportation in Kingston, Ontario An Analysis of Mode, Destination, Duration, and Season among Walkers and Cyclists. JPAH. 2015 June. http://dx.doi.org/10.1123/jpah.2012-0320
- Collins P (presenter), Mayer D. “Examining active transportation patterns in Kingston, Ontario, Canada: An analysis of socio-demographics, destinations, and duration by modal split.” Poster presentation for the 2012 American Public Health Association Annual Meeting. San Francisco, CA, 27-31 October 2012.
- Mayer D (presenter), Collins P. “Examining the Scope, Facilitators, and Barriers to Active Transportation Patterns in Kingston, Ontario: A Seasonal Analysis.” Oral presentation for the Canadian Public Health Association 2012 Conference. Edmonton, AB, 11-14 June 2012.
- Collins P (presenter), Mayer D. “Examining the relationship between active transportation and neighbourhood deprivation in Kingston, Ontario: A spatial analysis”. Oral presentation at Canadian Association of Geographers Annual Meeting, Waterloo, ON, 28 May – 2 June 2012.
City Advisory Working Groups
- Williamsville Cycling Lanes Advisory Group (2013)
- Age Friendly Advisory Committee (2013, 2014)
- Waterfront Master Plan Working Group (2014)
- Kingston Environmental Advisory Forum (2015 – present)
- Kingston Penitentiary and Portsmouth Olympic Harbour Working Group (2016- present)
- Active Transportation Master Plan Technical Advisory Group (2016-2018)
- Vision Zero Advisory Group (2018)
- Vision Zero and Road Safety Plan (June, 2019)
- Active Transportation Implementation Plan (July, 2019)
- Red light cameras (November, 2019)
- Bruce Bursey’s delegation to City Councillors and Mayor (December, 2019)